Image 1 of 1

Landscape-Canada-Nunavik-Kangiqsualujjuaq-20120713-202244-MAP-K.jpg

Add to Cart Add to Lightbox Download
July 2012- Kangiqsualujjuaq, Nunavik, Qc, Canada. Kangiqsualujjuaq is an Inuit village located on the east coast of Ungava Bay at the mouth of the George River, in Nunavik, Quebec, Canada. Its population in the Canada 2011 Census was 874.
The community has also been known as Fort Severight, Fort George River, George River, and Port-Nouveau-Québec. The name "Kangiqsualujjuaq" means "the very large bay" in Inuktitut.
Industries in Kangiqsualujjuaq include hunting of caribou, seal and beluga whale, arctic char fishing, and the production of Inuit art.

Kangiqsualujjuaq is located 1,688 km to the northeast of Montreal. Access to the township is by plane, although Kangiqsualujjuamiut occasionally travel to Kuujjuaq in winter by snowmobile and in summer by boat, a journey of approximately 160 km to the southwest. Journeys across the Torngat Mountains by snowmobile to the Labrador settlements Nain and Nachvak are rarely embarked upon these days, but were commonplace when dog teams were used. Cargo ships from Montreal deliver cumbersome supplies and equipment to the community every summer.

The Hudson's Bay Company operated a post south of today's village from 1838 to 1932. But the Inuit of the area never settled around the post, preferring to live along the coast in summer and setting their camps about 50 km inland in winter. In 1959, local Inuit established, on their own initiative, the first co-operative in Northern Quebec for the purpose of marketing Arctic char. Construction of the village began in 1962 and from then on Inuit began to settle permanently there. In 1963 a school, a co-operative store, and government buildings were built. In 1980, Kangiqsualujjuaq was legally established as a municipality.
Copyright
© 2014 Marc-Andre Pauze - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Image Size
3281x2188 / 1.2MB
Contained in galleries
July 2012- Kangiqsualujjuaq, Nunavik, Qc, Canada. Kangiqsualujjuaq is an Inuit village located on the east coast of Ungava Bay at the mouth of the George River, in Nunavik, Quebec, Canada. Its population in the Canada 2011 Census was 874.<br />
The community has also been known as Fort Severight, Fort George River, George River, and Port-Nouveau-Québec. The name "Kangiqsualujjuaq" means "the very large bay" in Inuktitut.<br />
Industries in Kangiqsualujjuaq include hunting of caribou, seal and beluga whale, arctic char fishing, and the production of Inuit art. <br />
<br />
Kangiqsualujjuaq is located 1,688 km to the northeast of Montreal. Access to the township is by plane, although Kangiqsualujjuamiut occasionally travel to Kuujjuaq in winter by snowmobile and in summer by boat, a journey of approximately 160 km to the southwest. Journeys across the Torngat Mountains by snowmobile to the Labrador settlements Nain and Nachvak are rarely embarked upon these days, but were commonplace when dog teams were used. Cargo ships from Montreal deliver cumbersome supplies and equipment to the community every summer.<br />
<br />
The Hudson's Bay Company operated a post south of today's village from 1838 to 1932. But the Inuit of the area never settled around the post, preferring to live along the coast in summer and setting their camps about 50 km inland in winter. In 1959, local Inuit established, on their own initiative, the first co-operative in Northern Quebec for the purpose of marketing Arctic char. Construction of the village began in 1962 and from then on Inuit began to settle permanently there. In 1963 a school, a co-operative store, and government buildings were built. In 1980, Kangiqsualujjuaq was legally established as a municipality.